Can a company have personality?
Can it have panache, élan, charisma, a certain je ne sais quoi?
Well, what about a sense of humor?
At TopRight, we think they can, and do, and should. Every year, April Fools’ is the perfect opportunity to relax a little and show off a lighter, more frivolous side. Because—why not?
Now, there is some inconclusive research out there about whether these annual pranks add much to a brand’s overall marketing efforts. So, with no clear indications, why should you get involved in this as a marketer? Our answer to this is: Don’t be a bummer, man! For one day a year, have a little fun, waste a little time, and stop taking yourself so seriously. Your customers will appreciate it.
This year, brands came out in force with a ton of soon-to-be classic gags that we loved. Here is our list of the top ten brand pranks of 2019.
1. Powdered Beer from Kingfisher. Gross!
2. SodaStream gives a new meaning the phrase “natural gas.”
Houston we solved the problem!
Burping in space is a thing of the past. Introducing our new collaboration with @StationCDRKelly, SodastreamME!
Tag a friend you KNOW needs this 🙂 pic.twitter.com/Cx3BIaickU
— SodaStream USA (@SodaStreamUSA) April 1, 2019
3. Take a cruise in the cutting-edge Honda Pastport.
4. Honda makes us laugh one more time with the Polite Horn.
5. Primark is very conveniently offering sock vending machines.
6. And now a nice tasty draft of Ruth Bader Ginsbeer from Sam Adams. Wait a minute, is this for real?
7. Three Olives Vodka remakes Roosevelt Island. Pretty fun, especially if you’re in NYC!
8. McDonald’s made some new dipping sauces. Mmmm!
— McDonald's (@McDonalds) April 1, 2019
9. But a lot of people actually like the idea of a McDonald’s McPickle Burger…
View this post on Instagram
Pickle lovers, it’s the news you’ve all been waiting for. We’re super stoked to announce the launch of our brand new McPickle Burger. It’s time to tuck into juicy, flavoursome pickles layered between melted cheese, ketchup sauce and toasted sesame seed buns. It’s sure to be a treat for all your senses. #dailynuggets #mcpickle #pickleoverload #maccas #imlovinit
10. And in extremely local news, even places like Middlesex County, NJ are getting in on the fun.
As the weather gets warmer you may want to explore John A. Phillips Preserve in Old Bridge where you’ll find miles of marked hiking trails, more than 50 species of birds, rare flowers including orchids and more… #GetOutdoors
Posted by Middlesex County NJ on Monday, April 1, 2019
If you want to learn more on how to harness the power of brand story in a way that produces compelling messaging that grows your business, download Transformational Marketing: Moving to the TopRight today and order a copy of my new book Marketing, Interrupted.