Marketing is about reaching consumers to invoke a change in their behavior, giving them a call to action. It’s crucial to be where people are engaging and spending time. Last year mobile media consumption surpassed online for the first time with more than 100 million daily active users, 1.6 billion daily likes, and 20 billion shared photos. And if you’re looking to target millennials, the numbers are even better: With 42% penetration of millennial smartphone users, they spend more than an astounding 439 minutes per month on the platform, according to comScore Mobile Trends 2014.
While Instagram is one of the fastest growing apps, it is also surprisingly one of the most underutilized by marketers. So how does Instagram stack up against other social platforms, especially those that have been around longer:
- It’s not just the “trendy” thing to do-65% of the world’s top 100 brands are using Instagram, it’s not just where the “kids” are hanging out. A recent study by Forrester Research found that Instagram users were 58 times more likely to like, comment, or share a brand’s post than Facebook users and 120 times more likely than Twitter users.
- Visual marketing-Visual storytelling is an art form on Instagram, and to be able to craft a conversation over an extended period of time is a skill that needs to be harnessed. In order to capture the attention of that audience you must be active on the platform, creating content that is not only engaging but also shareable for your target audience.
- Enhance your branding-Photos disclose a whole new perspective of your business. Whether it’s behind-the-scenes images or before-and-after images, sharing these images can really enhance your branding. Develop a strong brand appeal on Instagram to show your audience who you really are.
- It’s not just for product based businessesShare images of projects you’re working on, client locations, cities you visit, your office, your staff, or any other aspect of your business. In all reality, everything you do everyday could be documented through photos. Share your company’s story.
- Take advantage of user-generated content-Instagram easily enables you to access UGC to repurpose or use in your own strategy! You can use hashtags, contests, tags, and other means to have your audience submit content to you.
There are many companies getting it right, using this platform to share their story, their background, and their vision. Take GE for example–yes the technology heritage brand. The company beautifully tells its story of where it’s been with throwbacks to robotic prototypes of the 1960s to futuristic innovations in aviation, all through imagery crafted to fit a mere 612×612 pixels.
Bring your brand to your audience–where they document their lives, one tiny square photo at a time. Let us know what you think and as always stay #TopRight.