The pandemic has exacerbated a huge population shift in the U.S. according to a Census Bureau report released on state population and domestic migration estimates from July 1, 2020, to July 1, 2021.
Though it is impossible to pinpoint one specific cause for the change, a Wall Street Journal op-ed pointed out a correlation between population growth and fewer COVID-19 lockdowns. For example, Texas’ net population inflow grew 40 percent compared to the same period from 2018-19, while California’s outflow increased by 75 percent.
The reasons people have cited for wanting to move are myriad and range from wanting to be closer to family to seeking lower costs of living. The bottom line: people are choosing to relocate more frequently. For marketers, the opportunity to market to the mover and sell supporting products and services is significant.
According to statistics, an average person moves around 12 times in their entire life journey. Therefore, furniture movers associated with Moving Apt have a chance of grabbing more and more customers to make their business grow and get successful. Winning moving companies like this formulate marketing strategies that help them give customers a reason to care, listen, engage and buy. Their strategy begins with a deep understanding of the target audience – in this case the mover segment – and a commitment to revealing insights that will activate customer purchase intent.
Here are a few tips to help you succeed:
Develop a Marketing Plan
It’s critical to have a strategic marketing plan that outlines how you will attract, nurture and convert your target customers over time. Your plan must be dynamic and give you the agility to quickly learn what is working and what is not working when it comes to interacting with your customers. Adapting, changing and updating your plan according to the conditions of the market change is critical. There are several key tactics that you should consider including in your plan:
- Your six-second story or “elevator pitch” needs to be simple, clear and compelling if you are going to gain attention and stand out from your competitors.
- You will need to deploy content marketing to not only describe your products and services, but also provide your customers with other valuable information about the moving process.
- You should consider special offers and promotions to give your target audience a reason to engage with you and learn more about what differentiates your products and services from other options they may have.
- You need to take stock of your strengths and weaknesses so that you know what capabilities to emphasize in your messaging and to anticipate likely objections from your prospects.
- You need to research your competitors, evaluate their marketing strategies, and determine how best to position your business to win. If a strategy is working for your competitors, it may work for you as well!
- You need to clearly document your goals and setup a measurement system to make sure you are generating a sufficient return on your marketing investment. Remember: you get what you measure!
Execute Your Digital Strategy
In today’s digital world, the online presence of your business will be crucial to your success. Here are a few tips to consider as your execute your digital strategy:
- Your website must be well-designed, responsive and consistent with your brand story. Websites are often the first place a prospect will go to check you out, so be sure to make a great first impression. Hire professional website designers and builders to increase your chances of success.
- Your website should be optimized for online search by implementing the latest SEO strategies and dedicating resource to execute with ruthless consistency. Content marketing is also a great and cost-efficient way of attracting a huge audience to your business.
- Your social media presence is another area where your prospects will be searching for you, so your social profiles must be just as impactful as your website. Most of your target customers will have social media accounts and they will be using them to research your business and evaluating reviews and testimonials from your previous customers – make sure that you are part of that conversation!
- You will likely need to run paid media campaigns to drive traffic to your website and acquire new customers. Paying for the online ads can be highly effective when targeting the mover segment. A nice side benefit of digital advertising is that it is highly measurable. You will quickly know which ads are working and which are not. This means you will have the ability to shift your marketing spend dynamically to assure that you are maximizing your ROI.
- You must be present on review sites like Facebook, Google, Yelp because this is where most people will go to validate your reputation. Customer reviews and testimonials give people the confidence that they are dealing with trustworthy and reputable businesses. If your business has good reviews on these sites, then you will likely see a bump in qualified customers coming to your website.
- You need to put marketing automation solutions in place to increase your conversion rate, turn qualified leads into profitable customers and grow sales.
Marketing to movers is not easy as it is difficult to find them in the market, and when you do, it’s hard to stand out from the crowd of other relocation service providers. If you own a business that targets the mover segment, then putting together a marketing plan and following the simple tips shared in this article will help you to reach your target audience and acquire new customers.
If you’d like to receive a steady flow of great marketing tips like this, please follow me @TopRightPartner, connect with me on LinkedIn, subscribe to our blog, or buy a copy of my latest book, Marketing, Interrupted.